Tuesday, November 1, 2016

A Halloween visit from the Tomten

So our house-wight (aka the Tomten or Nisse) was feeling a little rambunctious, or lonely, or something last night (Halloween, not coincidentally). My wireless mouse needed a new battery, so I dutifully removed the old one, went downstairs to get a new one, answered the door for some trick-or-treaters, and when I came back upstairs the mouse was gone. Nowhere to be found.

I retraced my steps four times, looked right on the corner of my desk, where I left it, four times, looked in the kitchen, downstairs, even worried that I had absent-mindedly given it to one of the kids instead of candy.

In exasperation, I finally said out loud, to the house-wight, "okay, why are you doing this? Need a little attention? Very amusing!" and kept looking.

So one of our friends who was over and starting to help me look calls over to me, "Is it the gray-and-black one?"

I went over, and there it was, right on the corner of the desk, right where I left it. It had not not been there before. And she couldn't have hidden it, because it was missing before she had come upstairs.

He'll be getting an extra-large pat of butter in his porridge this Yule, to keep him happy.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, you do indeed need to feed the house-wight. I talk to them all the time -- and they still play tricks. The old house had a number of them from various backgrounds. There was at least one domovoi. Since we have been in temp housing before moving into our new historical house, I know a few have accompanied us. Whether this is to still to keep us in line or not, I feel better having them.

    ReplyDelete