Saturday, October 3, 2015

Why I am no longer a member of the Troth

The current High Rede of the Troth, from this year's Trothmoot
For the past several years, I have been a member of both the Troth and the Asatru Folk Assembly. I joined each organization for particular reasons, but I find I can no longer straddle the fence. To understand why I am no longer in the Troth requires an understanding of why I was a member in the first place.

I joined the Troth because of its emphasis on the scholarly side of Heathenry. I am academically inclined by nature, and that greatly appealed to me. I was in the Troth's Lore Program, and was in my third and final section prior to my resignation.

But despite its academic pretensions, the Warder of the Lore of the Troth has, in my opinion, shown himself to be completely willing to set aside academic integrity in order to pursue a particular agenda. When the titular "chief scholar" of a group can so easily put aside scholarship in pursuit of a particular agenda, remaining a member because of its academic credibility is not something that can be sustained. I speak of his most recent book defending Loki-worship, which has already moved official Troth policy in a more Loki-accepting direction, and which will doubtless continue to do so.

In addition, while folkish Heathens are, as a matter of policy, welcome within the Troth, on a de facto level there is a large amount of anti-folkish sentiment to be had within the organization. This is expressed nowhere as much as in the official policy that forbids folkish kindreds from joining the Troth's kindred affiliation program. Too, the Troth as an organization seems to go out of its way to stick a finger in the eye of folkish Heathenry at every turn, even though its current Steersman (a man whom I have met and happen to like personally) does an admirable job of wanting to maintain a dialogue between the folkish and non-folkish camps.

On the other hand, I joined the AFA because I am a folkish Heathen. That should be obvious from my writings here and elsewhere. The AFA is explicitly folkish, and understands that Asatru is a religion in which ancestry is a vital component. It is not interested in diversity for the sake of diversity, political correctness, or anything like that. It presents a consistently positive message for people of European descent that there is indeed an alternative to both the cloying and soul-crushing Christianity that most white people grew up with, as well as the sterile and soul-denying secularism and multi-culturalism that has come to dominate western culture in the last half-century.

1 comment:

  1. don't know how I found this, but this probably describes the journey of a few of us.

    ReplyDelete