Saturday, October 31, 2015

Books for Newgrange Hof - and a challenge!

Recently, as part of the festivities that accompanied the grand opening of Newgrange Hof by the Asatru Folk Assembly, there was a small mention that they were also collecting books for the hof library.

Naturally, as soon as I saw the words "books" and "library", I perked up, being a bibliophile and all.

At this year's Winternights celebration in the Poconos, I brought some books from my own collection - my duplicates - and sent them back with Sheila McNallen for the hof, with the promise that it was a only down payment.

Today, I went on a book crawl through a few of the used bookstores of New Jersey, and came up with a small box full of books that will be sent over to California for the hof:


That's the Bellows translation of the Poetic Edda, by the way. Not the best, but charming in its way, and still a nice volume to have in one's library (that particular volume is from 1903). My intention is to keep buying more for the Newgrange hof library, as I go through my own book-buying activities. I'll keep a box handy, and once it gets full, I'll send it over. Then I'll start another box.

Now, here's my challenge to you all. If you've got duplicates in your own library (and let's face it, we Asatruar like books, and sometimes you end up with two of the same title), put 'em in a box and ship 'em off to the AFA post office box. If you've got a nice used bookstore nearby, hit it and see what they've got in the way of sagas, Eddas, books on Germanic history (Viking age, migration age, etc.), folklore, etc. etc. etc. Put 'em in the box. If you've got the means, go to your local chain bookstore, or Amazon.com, and send some books over to the AFA, so the library at Newgrange Hof can really be something. Let's make the library as awesome as the hof itself.

Here's the mailing address:

Asatru Folk Assembly
P.O. Box 445
Nevada City, CA 95959


No comments:

Post a Comment